White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2004, 07:48 AM
WSI High Priest

Ok Lee "Bee Bee" Richard was not in the last ten years but "Bee Bee" was a huge flop. "Bee Bee" was the Sox first round pick (6th pick) of the 1970 draft.

"Bee Bee" made his debut with the Sox in 1971 and was traded after the 1975 season. "Bee Bee" had one more season and that was it.

I believed the hype. I eagerly watched "Bee Bee" and waited for him to bust out. I remember my dad grinding and nashing his teeth about the bust known as "Bee Bee" Richard.

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello
Old 09-15-2004, 08:01 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChisoxfaninMinny
is this a list of busts? I hope not. The only guys on the list who could still be busts are olivo and miles.

Rowand needs to show me more than one year, but hes still wont be considered a bust if he reverts to his early major league career

Biggest busts have to include
the great borchardi
jeff abbott
rauch
ruffcorn
Crede is starting to look like a bust too
I thought Baldwin was a bust. He had a great curve and had one good half.

Bob
Old 09-15-2004, 08:05 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxxoS
How about we have lists of the biggest Sox prospects busts of the past 10 years. We all know the hyped up prospects we had/have. You can count current players performance as what their career averages will be (or close to it). I.E. Borchard probably won't have a 700 OPS (or whatever) but you can't really say he is going to improve, either. So go by current players numbers, if possible. Injuries are relevent. I will be compiling my list later on today, I have to run out...but wanted to start the topic. Should be interesting/fun/embarassing.
This isn't in the last 10 years, but I've got 2 players:

1. The guy drafted right in front of Barry Bonds who never say a day in the majors.

2. Kenny Williams-Jerry Krause loved him. And injuries hampered him. But he was a hyped prospect who never lived up to the hype:

BA OBP SLG
.218 .269 .339

Bob
Old 09-15-2004, 08:07 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxxoS
How about we have lists of the biggest Sox prospects busts of the past 10 years. We all know the hyped up prospects we had/have. You can count current players performance as what their career averages will be (or close to it). I.E. Borchard probably won't have a 700 OPS (or whatever) but you can't really say he is going to improve, either. So go by current players numbers, if possible. Injuries are relevent. I will be compiling my list later on today, I have to run out...but wanted to start the topic. Should be interesting/fun/embarassing.
Got another one. I don't kow if he wass overhyped or not but he was shuttled up and down from the Sox to their minor league affiliates for 4-5 years. And he was just in Maxim magazine. Unfortunately I was too young at the time to mispronounce his name and know what it means:

Rusty Kuntz

Bob
Old 09-15-2004, 08:17 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosox41
Got another one. I don't kow if he wass overhyped or not but he was shuttled up and down from the Sox to their minor league affiliates for 4-5 years. And he was just in Maxim magazine. Unfortunately I was too young at the time to mispronounce his name and know what it means:

Rusty Kuntz
Yeah, but Mr. Kuntz has a World Series World Champions ring to go along with his silly name.

On Rusty's Baseball Reference page the guy who sponsored the page wrote this, "He had the critical sac fly in Game 5 of the 1984 World Series to put the Tigers ahead for good. Thanks Rusty!"
Old 09-15-2004, 08:53 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
This isn't in the last 10 years, but I've got 2 players:

1. The guy drafted right in front of Barry Bonds who never say a day in the majors.

2. Kenny Williams-Jerry Krause loved him. And injuries hampered him. But he was a hyped prospect who never lived up to the hype:

BA OBP SLG
.218 .269 .339

Bob
1. Kurt Brown out of Glendora HS in California. We made up for it though by drafting Jose Mota and Glen Braxton in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Thigpen came in the 4th.
Old 09-15-2004, 08:59 AM
WSI Personality

I remember a couple of highly touted CFs of the late 90s. Brian Simmons (2nd round pick) and McKay Christensen (6th pick overall for Angels in '94). As I recall, both these guys were can't miss types. They missed.
Old 09-15-2004, 09:42 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I thought Baldwin was a bust. He had a great curve and had one good half.
How can we forget Mike "Smoke 'em if ya got 'em" Caruso? He wasn't drafted by us, but acquired as a very raw/young kid. In the majors by 20 or 21, out by 22 or 23?
Old 09-15-2004, 09:56 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68
How can we forget Mike "Smoke 'em if ya got 'em" Caruso? He wasn't drafted by us, but acquired as a very raw/young kid. In the majors by 20 or 21, out by 22 or 23?
But rumor has it he was a hit with the ladies. Scored more there then he did on the field. Too bad. I hope he got a big signing bonus.

Bob
Old 09-15-2004, 04:17 PM
WSI Personality

CF: Daryl Boston, but don't forget Julio Ramirez.

Maybe I'm wrong, but wasn't Julio barely in the system. I was thinking the Sox claimed him from somewhere or something along those lines. I don't remember, but I'm 99.9% sure he wasn't with us. I can't remember if they got him from Florida or if he went to Florida after he left Chicgao (i know he landed in Anaheim for a while and did a solid job there).

Therefor I wouldn't consider him a bust, considering the Sox weren't the team to develop him.
Old 09-15-2004, 05:27 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisoxfn

Maybe I'm wrong, but wasn't Julio barely in the system. I was thinking the Sox claimed him from somewhere or something along those lines. I don't remember, but I'm 99.9% sure he wasn't with us. I can't remember if they got him from Florida or if he went to Florida after he left Chicgao (i know he landed in Anaheim for a while and did a solid job there).

Therefor I wouldn't consider him a bust, considering the Sox weren't the team to develop him.
IIRC he was a rule 5 draft pick.
Old 09-15-2004, 06:35 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68
IIRC he was a rule 5 draft pick.
According to bb-ref.com, he was traded by the Marlins to the Sox in early December of 2000 for Jeff Abbott.
Old 09-15-2004, 06:45 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEdward
According to bb-ref.com, he was traded by the Marlins to the Sox in early December of 2000 for Jeff Abbott.
YOU ARE CORRECT SIR... thanks.
Old 09-15-2004, 06:59 PM
WSI High Priest

Mark Buerhle
First Pennant in 46 years CHECK
First World Series in 88 years CHECK
Old 09-15-2004, 09:06 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica
This is fun. Let's go by position.

I can't disagree with any person except Daryl Boston because he play in MLB for 10 years. Sure he was not the best player but he was good enough to hang around for a long time.