White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2005, 10:53 AM
WSI Church Elder

Default Question on Sox prospect: Mike Spidale

For those of you that are a bit closer to the Sox minor league system, I was wondering what the status of OF Mike Spidale is. Where is he this spring? Where will he start the 2005 season? Given the Sox extremely crowded OF depth, where does he fit in? What kind of a prospect is he, and where do you think he'll fit in down the line?

I've never seen the guy play, but his numbers and the description of his abilities intrigue me. Thanks a lot!
"All I wanted was to get to the World Series one time. One time. I didn't care how I got there. I'm here with these guys in body, mind and spirit. People say it's bittersweet. It's not bittersweet. It's only sweet."

-Frank Thomas, 10/15/05
Old 03-18-2005, 11:12 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdep524
For those of you that are a bit closer to the Sox minor league system, I was wondering what the status of OF Mike Spidale is. Where is he this spring? Where will he start the 2005 season? Given the Sox extremely crowded OF depth, where does he fit in? What kind of a prospect is he, and where do you think he'll fit in down the line?

I've never seen the guy play, but his numbers and the description of his abilities intrigue me. Thanks a lot!
Rex is probably the best guy to answer this. He saw him play a ton in AA last year. Limited physical talent, but high OBP and average hitter, doesn't wow you, but get's the job done.
Old 03-18-2005, 01:29 PM
WSI High Priest

I suppose he could be the starting LF at Charlotte this year with Anderson in CF.
Old 03-18-2005, 03:29 PM
WSI Regular

Default Spidale

his name has never been mentioned as to be starting in Charlotte. But then again, neither was Jeremy Giambi's.
Old 03-18-2005, 03:49 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by maurice
I suppose he could be the starting LF at Charlotte this year with Anderson in CF.
And me!!! Don't forget me!!!!

19 seasons, 9232 AB, 216 SO
Old 03-19-2005, 11:17 AM
WSI Regular

actually i think it was believed he would start in triple A... he proved he can hit double A last year and Anderson should at least start the season in AA along with Sweeney and Rogo so most likely you see him in triple A.

As for where does he project out to be, most likely a 4th outfielder.
Old 03-19-2005, 11:31 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68
Limited physical talent, but high OBP and average hitter, doesn't wow you, but get's the job done.
This is EXACTLY what I like to hear. A guy that gets the job done, even if he doesn't make the scouts drool with his "tools." Hopefully his performance will speak for itself. Considering he's most likely behind Anderson, Sweeney, Borchard (?), Rogowski (if he's switched to OF), and probably Young and Owens, I don't see where Spidale is going to fit in with the Sox, but I hope he finds a place.
Old 03-19-2005, 09:09 PM
WSI Regular

Default Mccarthy

Don Cooper said today that it looks like they will be sending BMac to Charlotte which is a surprise to everyone here. We definitely thought that he'd be going to Birmingham. So far, these are the players that we know are definitely coming to us: Mitch Wylie, Josh Stewart, Dave Sanders, Jeff Bajenaru, Jorge Toca, Bobby Jenks, Arnie Munoz, Matt Smith, Jeremy Giambi, Emancia Pacheco. The other posibilities are Felix Diaz, Chris Widger, Jamie Burke and of course, our friend, Joe Borchard. But we all know that things happen at the last minute. Looks like a pretty good team so far.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:20 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlotteknights
Don Cooper said today that it looks like they will be sending BMac to Charlotte which is a surprise to everyone here. We definitely thought that he'd be going to Birmingham. So far, these are the players that we know are definitely coming to us: Mitch Wylie, Josh Stewart, Dave Sanders, Jeff Bajenaru, Jorge Toca, Bobby Jenks, Arnie Munoz, Matt Smith, Jeremy Giambi, Emancia Pacheco. The other posibilities are Felix Diaz, Chris Widger, Jamie Burke and of course, our friend, Joe Borchard. But we all know that things happen at the last minute. Looks like a pretty good team so far.
Well, with Buehrle going down for 6 weeks, looks like Brandon will be opening in Chicago instead of Charlotte. Either way, Charlotte should have a veteran and experienced team capable of competing for division crown in the IL...
Old 03-21-2005, 01:30 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
The other posibilities are Felix Diaz, Chris Widger, Jamie Burke and of course, our friend, Joe Borchard.
You also might get Adkins, Walker, Valdez, or Ozuna.

Diaz was removed from the game with shoulder tightness yesterday. I haven't heard anything since then.

Any recent news on Corwin Malone?
Old 03-21-2005, 07:01 PM
New At WSI

Default news from arizona

just heard from adam larson, brian miller called him to let him know Bmac will be starting the second game of the season at clevland
Old 03-21-2005, 07:05 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannapolis
just heard from adam larson, brian miller called him to let him know Bmac will be starting the second game of the season at clevland
If Buehrle has indeed sufferred an injury serious enough to miss his first start, this is indeed what will happen. I think the delay in this chain of communication doesn't take into account the latest news on Buehrle that he felt back to normal today after not being able to walk on it yesterday. MRI indicated a shadow that could easily be a past injury that Mark just tweaked just right... Catscan should be a little more conclusive...

MB said he doubted he'd miss his first start of the season this afternoon.

If not, it appears McCarthy is indeed in at the #2 spot so as to not upset the rest of the rotation...

It's a waiting game now. BMac should make his start on Friday and go from there depending on what Mark Buehrle's status will be...
Old 04-03-2005, 09:28 PM
WSI Personality

I know this is kind of late, but he is two cents on Spidale....

Gritty player full of hustle. Excellent speed, plays the OF well. Hit better than expected in Birmingham last year. Patient at the plate and draws walks. Can steal bases. Doubles power mostly. Will pop a few long ones, but not regularly. Arm is weak, limiting him to LF on most occasions. Nice player who could project to be a 4th or 5th OF in the bigs. Doubtful he has enough to play everyday.

He was considered to be on the fence between going to Charlotte and coming back to Birmingham this year. Obviously, he is headed to Charlotte, but I hear will begin the season on the DL (not sure if that is just because of roster space or if he is really hurt). My best guess is he will be a reserve OF in Charlotte or get sent back to Bham where, unless someone gets hurt, he will be a reserve behind Jerry Owens, Chris Young and Ryan Sweeney.
Old 04-03-2005, 09:31 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
I am not posting this to say charlotte was wrong, just to point out how quickly things can change. Bobby Jenks is headed to Birmingham along with Pacheco. Giambi is staying in Tucson in extended ST (as is Yofu). Not sure where Wylie will be or what happened to him. Haven't seen his name mentioned.

So sometimes definitely, means probably, which means maybe. Things that are definite today, change next week. That's how baseball works.
Old 04-10-2005, 07:13 AM
WSI Regular

Default Wylie

Wylie was released. Spidale is on the DL and Brian Becker is in his spot. Plan was that when Spidale was off the DL Becker would go down, but with the clutch hits that Becker has had, it will be hard to do that. Word is that they're holding diaz in Arizona as a probability of going to Chicago. Person, Giambi, are ready to come to Charlotte but they have to make some moves to make room for them. So they need 3 roster spots including Spidale. Supposedly there's no room in Birmingham so somebody will get the ax.